Best sequencer

Anything to do with sequencing programs such as Logic Pro, Cubase and ProTools

Best sequencer

Postby admin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:12 pm

Which is the best sequencer? Logic, Cubase, ProTools? any others?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Best sequencer

Postby anima » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Logic, of course ;)
sequencer reminds me more of midi sequences that are copied, pasted and edited somewhere on the timeline therefore i would not go for pro tools, if 'sequencer' relates to audio regions as well then i will go for logic and pro tools
anima

Postby Philip K » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:39 pm

It really depends on what you want to do. ProTools is used mostly for recording real instruments as it replaced the traditional hardware environment although these days it can be used with midi and soft synths. It also comes with a host of virtual effects and processors.
Cubase and Logic are very flexible in that they can handle both midi and audio. Some people prefer one to the other mainly due to look and feel. Logic does have the edge in being very reliable, has a wealth of software instruments, however bare in mind it's only available for the Mac.
On other contender is Reason from Propellerhead which is a self contained sequencer/ rack environment which gives the look and feel of physical hardware. On it's own it cannot record audio, however the addition of 'Record You' which comes with a virtual "Neve" style mixer interfaces with Reason to give you a full recording package.

For more details check out the following sites.
ProTools - www.digidesign.com
Cubase - www.steinberg.de
Logic - www.apple.com
Reason and Record www.propellerhead.se
Hope this helps

Philip
Philip K

Postby Philip K » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:10 pm

It really depends on what you want to do. ProTools is used mostly for recording real instruments as it replaced the traditional hardware environment although these days it can be used with midi and soft synths. It also comes with a host of virtual effects and processors.
Cubase and Logic are very flexible in that they can handle both midi and audio. Some people prefer one to the other mainly due to look and feel. Logic does have the edge in being very reliable, has a wealth of software instruments, however bare in mind it's only available for the Mac.
On other contender is Reason from Propellerhead which is a self contained sequencer/ rack environment which gives the look and feel of physical hardware. On it's own it cannot record audio, however the addition of 'Record You' which comes with a virtual "Neve" style mixer interfaces with Reason to give you a full recording package.

For more details check out the following sites.
ProTools - www.digidesign.com
Cubase - www.steinberg.de
Logic - www.apple.com
Reason and Record www.propellerhead.se
Hope this helps

Philip
Philip K

Postby anima » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:49 am

Well, that is true. Logic is available only on a Mac, but to be fair, i wouldn't want to do music related stuff on a PC. Very unreliable. I have a Mac Pro for over 2 years now and as far as i remember it crashed twice, not more. Moreover, it remembers the settings in the case of a sudden power cut. Logic looks very 'tidy' unlike cubase which has tracks for pretty much everything in the main arrange window. by the end of the project i was confused searching all the instrument tracks. I am not sure about cubase, but what Logic also has (extremely useful) is when your project crashes and it comes up with the message 'logic has unexpectedly quit' it saves your project automatically under the same name and "(crashed)" right next to it. Another thing - enviroment. The brain of Logic where you can play around with different devices and wiring everything up. it does magic ;). next thing - one of my favourites - binaural panner. you can achieve really excellent results. then small things like tonnes of samples and plugins and of course famous exs24 where you can actually create your own instruments just like in kontakt.
i could go on like this for ages ;) but after all you are right. it all depends on what we're more used to. even though most of people i know hate cubase, i know some who really like it because they are so used to it and they are using it for ages.
when it comes to pro tools - any audio recording, i wouldn't use anything but pro tools, but as far as midi is concerned - they will have to put a lot more effort to it to be able to compete with logic or even cubase. pro tools 8 was a big thing since they have introduced a new, simpler way of working with midi, but unfortunatelly it is not as amazing as i was reading in the reviews. i am still waiting for a perfect software (which would be combined pro tools audio and logics midi) and then i wouldn't mind investing money in digidesign's expensive toys knowing this is a perfect software ;)
anima

Return to Sequencer issues